Family Fun Hobbies is once again heading to the New York Toy Fair! So what does that mean?
114th North American International Toy Fair™
#TFNY is the largest toy, game, and youth product marketplace in the Western Hemisphere!
OWNER: Toy Industry Association
SHOW DATES: Saturday, February 18 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Sunday and Monday, February 19 and 20 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Tuesday, February 21 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
WHERE: Jacob K. Javits Convention Center. New York, NY
PARTICIPATION: 1,126 total exhibitors from 31 countries
(Pre-registered as of February 2, 2017) 103 first-time exhibitors
11,000 registered buyers representing more than 4,000 of unique retail outlets
21 of the top 25 Toy Sellers representing the $26 billion domestic U.S. toy
This year, Toy Fair will attract more than 30,000 registrants (including nearly 13,000 retailers, wholesalers, importers, buying groups, and trade guests) from more than 100 countries.
EXHIBIT SPACE: 443,000 net square feet on-site at the Javits Convention Center
- NYC is a playground this week! At the Javits Convention Center and across the city, more than 1,100 toy companies are showcasing the products that will be under the tree this Christmas to retailers only, it’s not open to the public!
- As the largest toy show in the Western Hemisphere, Toy Fair is a massive celebration of play.
- This year’s marketplace is bigger than ever. The show is the equivalent to more than seven football fields filled with creative, innovative, and skill-building toys and games!
- Who comes to Toy Fair? There are more than 30,000 attendees from over 100 countries. That’s toy inventors and designers, manufacturers, toy buyers from retailers of all sizes, wholesalers, importers, entertainment executives, and more. If someone is connected to the toy industry, they are probably in town this week!
- Toy Fair has a dedicated area for new exhibitors called the “Launch Pad.” It is a great place to see new up-and-coming toy inventors as well as international companies looking to expand their product to the U.S. Located in Hall 1E of the Javits Center, Toy Fair first-timers represent 17 countries including Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, the UK, and Poland.
- Toy Fair is important because play is important. Toys – which are the tools of play – promote the development of children’s cognitive, social, emotional, and fine and gross motor skills.
- U.S. toy and game sales rose by 5 percent in 2016, according to NPD. This speaks to the innovation and creativity of the industry. Collectibles were a top contributor to the industry’s growth. Sales jumped 33 percent and represented 9 percent of the industry’s total dollars. Additionally, games and puzzles, dolls, and outdoor sports and toys were the top three performing super-categories, each posting double-digit sales growth in 2016 compared to 2015.
- From board games and dolls to outdoor toys and e-connected playthings, the toy industry is churning out an incredibly diverse array of products for kids to play with!
- A well-rounded day of play is important for families. There is room for both traditional toys and digital playthings to help round out the play experience.
Based on data provided by The NPD Group and/or the U.S. Department of Commerce
In the United States:
o The average price of a toy is around $10.
o The estimated three billion units sold across the nation each year generate approximately $26 billion in direct toy sales.
o 2016 ended with a 5 percent increase in overall U.S. toy sales, according to The NPD Group. Growth categories included: games and puzzles (+18%), dolls (+10%), outdoor and sports toys (+10%), plush (+6%), infant and toddler preschool toys (+3%), youth electronics (+3%), and vehicles (+1%).
o Interesting to note: Collectibles were a top contributor to the industry’s 2016 growth, with sales growing 33 percent to reach $1.8 billion. Collectibles represented 9 percent of total toy industry dollars. Among NPD super-categories, outdoor sports and toys had the largest dollar amount increase at $328 million.
What does this all mean to you, our customers?
It’s pretty simple really. It means that when you shop with Family Fun Hobbies, you are helping to grow this amazing industry of toys and games. You are helping a small, local business and you are part of a growing trend! To get you involved Katrina and Rob will be posting pictures, updates, videos, surveys….whatever they have time for, to our Facebook and Twitter accounts! We NEED your input so that we are focusing the store in the direction you want it go. As a reward for your help, we will give away all of the #TFNY SWAG we get via random drawing. You just have to interact with us to be entered!
As another reward, we are making room on our shelves for all of the new products. Keep an eye out for in-store sales. Right now all 4M Science and Craft Kits are Buy 2, Get 1 FREE!!!